Re: r249939+ not detecting ata trim

From: Steven Hartland <killing_at_multiplay.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 23:58:23 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: "matt" <sendtomatt_at_gmail.com>
To: <freebsd-current_at_FreeBSD.org>
Sent: Saturday, April 27, 2013 10:00 PM
Subject: r249939+ not detecting ata trim

>I had been updating/porting Steve Hartland's patches for zfs trim on mps
> for 8.3 stable.
> Trim was working fine for me before r249939.
>
> When I saw that this functionality was being added to current, I built
> world/kernel without the patches.
> Indeed, many of the commits are quite similar to the updated patch I
> worked on (patch claims most of it is 'already applied').
>
> HOWEVER, I am not seeing a delete method detected for either of my
> Samsung 830s, which I did under my updated patch.
> It looks like scsi ata identify is not working.
>
> Are there still outstanding commits to enable this, or is something now
> a tunable/sysctl I'm missing?
>
> Previously it was working:
> kstat.zfs.misc.zio_trim.bytes: 47546368
> kstat.zfs.misc.zio_trim.success: 2618
> kstat.zfs.misc.zio_trim.unsupported: 0
> kstat.zfs.misc.zio_trim.failed: 0
>

> Current:
> kstat.zfs.misc.zio_trim.bytes: 0
> kstat.zfs.misc.zio_trim.success: 0
> kstat.zfs.misc.zio_trim.unsupported: 264
> kstat.zfs.misc.zio_trim.failed: 0
> kern.cam.da.3.delete_method: NONE
> kern.cam.da.3.delete_max: 0
> kern.cam.da.4.delete_method: NONE
> kern.cam.da.4.delete_max: 0

I have one patch outstanding (attached) to enable ATA_TRIM support under
controllers which don't support UNMAP, I was just finalising testing on
this, which I completed this morning; I'm just waiting for approval.

If your controller doesn't support UNMAP then this will be the reason,
however mps should support this.

Could you confirm if previously you where seeing UNMAP as the reported
delete_method?

    Regards
    Steve

or return the E.mail to postmaster_at_multiplay.co.uk.