Re: r249939+ not detecting ata trim

From: matt <sendtomatt_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 19:03:46 -0700
On 04/27/13 18:51, Steven Hartland wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "matt"
>>> FYI: Change only requires kernel, world would be identical, which
>>> should save you some time.
>>
>> And some untrimmed deletes!
>>
>> Thanks, with geom/cam/disk stuff I usually assume that it could affect
>> userland out of caution.
>>
>> BTW...ata identify is working fine, as even before the patch camcontrol
>> identify indicated trim support.
>
> Could you confirm the output you got from the debug as I would have
> expected to see UNMAP supported on your machine if you mps?
Output for sysctls
kern.cam.da.3.delete_method: ATA_TRIM
kern.cam.da.3.delete_max: 17179607040
kern.cam.da.3.minimum_cmd_size: 6
kern.cam.da.3.sort_io_queue: 0
kern.cam.da.3.error_inject: 0
kern.cam.da.4.delete_method: ATA_TRIM
kern.cam.da.4.delete_max: 17179607040

Output for printf
deleteflag: ATA_TRIM (2) = 1

I thought UNMAP was a SCSI command (for SAS disks), unless we're calling
it UNMAP and then running ATA's TRIM?

> I can envisage people wanting to know what delete methods are detected
> as supported so I've created a new little patch which will print this
> out from a verbose boot.
>
> Its attached if you want to try it, again only a kernel change, I'd
> be interested in the output you get. You should see something like:-
> da0: Delete methods: <ATA_TRIM(*),UNMAP,WS16>

I'll give it a try and send the results.

Thanks,

Matt