Re: [CFT] VMware vmxnet3 ethernet driver

From: Bryan Venteicher <bryanv_at_daemoninthecloset.org>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 01:05:20 -0500 (CDT)
----- Original Message -----
> Perhaps not, but they do support FreeBSD. I've started several support cases
> with FreeBSD-specific problems and they've fixed all so far.

Yes, it is not a blackhole of support. At $JOB, we got caught by the FreeBSD
specific issue of the busted timer that was fixed. But they've less helpful
in other regards, and have more or less said FreeBSD isn't high in their
priority because it isn't Linux.

> Are you aiming at completely replacing VMware tools, or just the device
> drivers?

I'd like as much as possible to work out of the box. vmxnet3 is as far as
my current interests go. OpenBSD has a vmt device that apparently does (at
least the important bits of) what vmtoolsd does; I'll look at that closer
at some point.

I have no intention of preventing people from using VMware's tools if
they desire, nor breaking existing users.