Re: ipv6_activate_all_interfaces doesn't work on wireless interface.

From: Kevin Oberman <rkoberman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 10:18:07 -0700
On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 11:54 AM, Eric Camachat <eric.camachat_at_gmail.com>wrote:

> OK, I will try add accept_rtadv to ifconfig_wlan0_ipv6.
>
> Thanks,
> Eric
>

> On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 6:19 AM, Kimmo Paasiala <kpaasial_at_gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 8:47 AM, Eric L Camachat
> > <eric.camachat_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Here is my /etc/rc.conf
> > > ipv6_enable="YES"
> > > #ip6addrctl_enable="YES"
> > > #ip6addrctl_policy="ipv6_prefer"
> > > #ipv6_activate_all_interfaces="YES"
> > > wlans_iwn0="wlan0"
> > > ifconfig_wlan0="WPA DHCP"
> > >
> > > rc.d system said ipv6_enable is obsoleted by
> > > ipv6_activate_all_interfaces.
> > > So, I tried to replaced ipv6_enable with ipv6_activate_all_interfaces
> > > and ip6addrctl_*, interface wlan0 will not get ipv6 address from
> router.
> > >
> > > After investigated, that's because of wlan0 didn't add 'accept_rtadv'
> > > ipv6 option.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Eric
> > >

> > As far as I know, not enabling accept_rtadv is a reasonable default
> > and it has been like that always. Just like DHCP is not a default
> > configuration method for IPv4 addresses.
> >
> > -Kimmo

There was a revision to networks.subr in r253683 that removed  accept_rtadv
from default for bridge interfaces.

At least the comment says that it should not be default which implies that
it used to be. If there is a logic error in the commit (I just noted the
change to rtadv and the comment, but did not attempt to confirm the logic),
perhaps accept_rtadv got turned off on more than just bridge interfaces.

 564<http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/stable/9/etc/network.subr?annotate=253683#l564>
                   bridge[0-9]*)
565<http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/stable/9/etc/network.subr?annotate=253683#l565>
                           # No accept_rtadv by default on