Re: patch to add AES intrinsics to gcc

From: Bernhard Fröhlich <decke_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 14:30:04 +0200
On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 2:12 PM, Volodymyr Kostyrko <c.kworr_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> 23.08.2013 12:58, Bernhard Fröhlich wrote:
>>
>> I don't know if you are aware that IF you really do that we will have
>> serious
>> problems to ship packages for 10. USE_GCC=any is the fallback in the
>> portstree for all ports that are unable to build with clang which was
>> introduced
>> when HEAD switched to clang as default cc. Right now there are 150 ports
>> in
>> the tree that use this fallback and quite a few of them are high profile
>> ports:
>>
>> the highlights:
>> audio/nas devel/mingw32-binutils emulators/qemu emulators/virtualbox-ose
>> emulators/wine lang/go lang/v8 mail/courier math/fftw3 multimedia/libxine
>> multimedia/gstreamer multimedia/gstreamer-plugins multimedia/x264
>> security/clamav
>>
>> the full list:
>> http://dpaste.com/1354075/
>>
>> A possible hack could be to add a check for USE_GCC=any to behave like
>> a USE_GCC=yes on HEAD on the affected platforms. This pulls in lang/gcc
>> from ports for a lot of people on HEAD I suppose.
>

> I object. Many ports that compiles perfectly on gcc 4.2.1 can't be compiled
> with lang/gcc. I checked this once and the number of ports that require
> strictly gcc 4.2.1 was bigger for me then number of ports that can't be
> compiled with clang but fill fine on lang/gcc.
>
> I'll gonna recheck whether lang/gcc42 is sufficient for them. But I have
> that bad feeling...

lang/gcc42 is on the list of ports that have USE_GCC=any. So you would need
to fix it first to be able to compile it with clang 3.3 from base.

We are not trying to build everything with lang/gcc but just the ports that have
USE_GCC=any in their Makefile. Per default all ports are still build with cc
from base so clang 3.3 on HEAD.

--
Bernhard Froehlich
http://www.bluelife.at/