Re: GCC withdraw (was: Re: patch to add AES intrinsics to gcc)

From: Thomas Mueller <mueller6724_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 09:31:30 -0700 (PDT)
> As for me I expect something like this:
> . 9.x gcc default and clang in base;
> . 10.x clang default and gcc in base;
> . 11.x gcc withdraw.

There is also the concern whether clang in base will reliably build gcc required for some ports, and then there are those CPU architectures for which clang is nonexistent or not ready.

Regarding those ports that build with the ancient gcc 4.2.1 but not with newer versions, that has to be considered a bug.

Consider that Linux and the other BSDs use newer versions of gcc to build their base system and ports or pkgsrc.

Tom