Re: GCC withdraw

From: David Chisnall <theraven_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 15:55:43 +0100
On 30 Aug 2013, at 15:53, Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> So the real driver here is switching to libc++. Is there really no way
> at all to use it with gcc? If, even with hacking, we could arrange that
> to work then it seems that all of our problems would go away.

If we can make our g++ compile C++11 code, then we can compile libc++ with g++.  This support requires significant modifications to the parser (it adds a second Turing-complete compile-time language, for one...) and so retrofitting C++11 support to g++ 4.2.1 is not going to happen.  It's taken upstream gcc a couple of years to get to the required level of support.  We don't have the manpower to replicate this.

David