Re: GCC withdraw

From: David O'Brien <obrien_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 13:28:27 -0700
On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 06:02:06PM +0100, David Chisnall wrote:
> rather busy organising the DevSummit.  The notes for the sessions will
> be posted to various mailing lists soon (and summarised for a special
> status report), but since the ports and toolchain build sessions are
> already largely up you can check these on the wiki.  You'll notice that
> in both sessions the topic of removing gcc / libstdc++ was raised and
> there was no objection (not sure if it's in the notes, but there was a
> lot of support during the ports session from people who didn't want the
> pain of maintaining compatibility with gcc-in-base, and especially with
> g++/libstdc++ in base).

And committers need to learn that Devsummit discussions (and optional
wiki's) are just like IRC ones -- we're all not there.  But we're on the
mailing lists.  That's how we communicate far-and-wide.

John and others bring up really good points.  Until GCC is no longer
used to build FreeBSD on any platform it should remain in all platforms.

If part of your reasoning is to free up "gcc" and "g++" commands for
ports -- fine, but change the names /usr/bin/gcc and /usr/bin/g++ on
all platforms for something else.
/usr/bin/fbsd-gcc & /usr/bin/fbsd-g++ or what not.

--
-- David  (obrien_at_FreeBSD.org)