Re: r255449: kernel compilation fails due to : cc: error: no input files

From: O. Hartmann <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 22:15:35 +0200
On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 13:06:44 -0700
"David O'Brien" <obrien_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 08:14:30PM +0200, O. Hartmann wrote:
> > On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 09:24:45 -0700 John-Mark Gurney
> > <jmg_at_funkthat.com> wrote:
> > > But, can you tell use how you built your kernel and on what
> > > system? COMPILER_TYPE should always be defined...  Are you trying
> > > to build a HEAD kernel on 9stable w/o using buildkernel or
> > > something strange like that?
> >
> > With r255453 everything works as expected again. Thank you very
> > much.
>
> It would still be helpful to know how you were building your kernel.

Well, you're right. Usually, I try to explain everything I use in an
unconevtional manner except compiler options.

My systems are "purified", I use no crosscompiling.

The problem has gone. Obviously, it was a fallout from a commit and I
hit the missing piece when I was trying to recompile the kernel.

> If you were trying to build it on non-CURRENT, maybe we should add a
> check to ensure that "COMPILER_TYPE" is defined and if not warn folks
> their environment is not-supported.

As said, "vanilla" CURRENT, simply performing "make kernel" or "make
buildkernel" on the machine the system is also running later - same
architecture et cetera.

Regards,
Oliver