Re: HEADS UP: No gcc by default in -HEAD on platforms where clang is cc

From: David O'Brien <obrien_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 13:06:50 -0700
On Fri, Sep 06, 2013 at 09:19:32PM +0100, David Chisnall wrote:
> As of r255321, we are no longer building gcc or libstdc++ as part of
> the default install on platforms where clang is cc.

I guess I missed where this was discussed.

I don't feel we should not ship 10.0 without /usr/bin/g[c+][c+].

It is still very useful for folks to test changes in order to help ensure
one doesn't break the build on platforms still using GCC.

In the past, we've deprecated for a full release and then remove on the
next.  This is pretty late in the 10.0 game (now in code freeze) to be
making such impactful changes.

We have no idea how many 3rd party Makefiles (or other build systems)
specify "gcc" explicitly.

> 2) Put WITH_GCC=yes and WITH_GNUCXX=yes in your src.conf when you build world.
> GCC will stay in the base system tree for at least the lifetime of the
> 10.x release, and possibly longer if it is still being actively used.
> It will remain used by tinderboxes and make universe for some
> architectures, so if you commit code without testing with gcc people
> will know very soon...

Requiring folks to keep remembering to add this knob to any new
installation will make it harder for developers to test...

Compare to the buildworld time impact of Clang, the GCC build is nothing,
so why not just have a WITHOUT_GCC knob for those that want nothing more
to do with GCC?

--
-- David  (obrien_at_FreeBSD.org)