Re: HEADS UP: No gcc by default in -HEAD on platforms where clang is cc

From: David Chisnall <theraven_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 09:05:06 +0100
On 11 Sep 2013, at 21:06, "David O'Brien" <obrien_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> It is still very useful for folks to test changes in order to help ensure
> one doesn't break the build on platforms still using GCC.

If you want to do this test, then you should do make universe or make tinderbox (you should do one or the other before committing anything already anyway), and these will build the cross-gcc toolchains for various architectures.

The GCC in base is not used when build-testing anything except the toolchain with our build system.  If you want to test building things with gcc, then you need to build WITHOUT_CLANG_IS_CC (which will build gcc and then build world with it), or explicitly specify a compiler to use when testing a smaller component (which can be a gcc you installed from the base tree, or one from ports - Warner is currently working to ensure that we'll have the FreeBSD-specific patches forward-ported so that each of the lang/gcc ports will be able to build FreeBSD).

The change is only to the default install.  If you are not a FreeBSD developer, then you are almost certainly not using our gcc: you're either not a developer at all, in which case you're rarely compiling things, or you're a developer of other stuff and therefore want a modern compiler (either clang or lang/gcc).  If you are a developer, then a change to the default install should not be a significant obstacle to your configuring the system how you want.

David