P4 question. not really a freebsd but using with freebsd

From: Julian Elischer <julian_at_elischer.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 03:30:49 +0800
so I have a freebsd tree checked into perforce.
  one particular subdirectory has been heavily modified to teh extent
that it's not really hte same thing any more and I want to move it out
to a separate place, and then replace it with the original contents so
I can update the tree and get changes to that original directory.

I can think of two ways to do this:
# move the modified one out
p4 open
p4 move //depot/Freebsd/src1/sys/netatalk/...
//depot/Freebsd/src1/sys/netmumble/...
followed by:
# bring back the original version by copying it from before changes
started.
p4 integrate //depot/Freebsd/src1/sys/netatalk/..._at_original_import
//depot/Freebsd/src1/sys/netmumble/...
p4 resolve
p4 submit

Or, a second alternative: not quite sure how to do this if there are
deletions and additions on the tree
#copy out the modified version.
#revert the directory in question to exactly how it was before the
changes started
files in netmumble should see all their history even when they were in
netatalk,
and files now in netatalk should see history from before the changes
started,
and MAYBE from when they were modified  (optional).

Julian