Re: RFC: less chatty system builds

From: Julio Merino <julio_at_meroh.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 14:48:17 -0500
On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 1:46 PM, Luigi Rizzo <rizzo_at_iet.unipi.it> wrote:

> The following is a proof-of-concept patch to make system builds
> less chatty.
>
> It also has the nice side effect of showing more clearly
> which rules are used during the build and possibly help
> debugging the share/mk files and the individual Makefiles.

I like the feature having used it in NetBSD routinely.

Have you checked how NetBSD does this?  It seems you are going for a yes/no
approach while NetBSD supports various levels of verbosity.  Trying to copy
what's done there may be a good idea, if only at the interface level.

Search for MAKEVERBOSE as a starting point here:

http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/share/mk/bsd.own.mk?rev=1.759&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup&only_with_tag=MAIN

--
Julio Merino / _at_jmmv