Re: FreeBSD 10.0-RC3 Now Available

From: Mathieu Arnold <mat_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2013 15:33:23 +0100
+--On 27 décembre 2013 12:26:49 +0100 Zenny <garbytrash_at_gmail.com> wrote:
| On 12/27/13, Mathieu Arnold <mat_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
|> +--On 27 décembre 2013 00:42:36 +0100 Zenny <garbytrash_at_gmail.com>
|> wrote:
|> | Much awaited release, thanks!. However, does the freebsd-update from
|> | the earlier version bork in case of ZFS on Root? Or is there a safe
|> | way to upgrade without borking. I had a very bad experience when I
|> | upgraded from FreeBSD-10B3 to RC1. Thanks!
|>
|> I upgraded from 9.2 to 10.0-RC1, 10.0-RC2 and 10.0-RC3 with
|> freebsd-update using zfs only boxes, never had any problem. The only
|> thing is, if you run zpool upgrade, do remember to do what it tells you
|> about updating the bootcode.
|>

| In my case, I didn't receive any instructions to update the bootcode
| and the bug was acknowledged by the developer.
|
| However, can you tell me exactly what did you do exactly to update the
| bootcode? Appreciate it!

Well, when you run :
# zpool upgrade yourpool

it will not print a lot of things, but it will end with :

If you boot from pool 'yourpool', don't forget to update boot code.
Assuming you use GPT partitioning and da0 is your boot disk
the following command will do it:

        gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 da0

All you have to do is adapt it to run your particular setup, replacing da0
with the correct disk (and running it for each disk where your pool is, in
my case, it was mfid0 and mfid1.)

--
Mathieu Arnold