Re: Time to kill fdc ?

From: Marcin Cieslak <saper_at_saper.info>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 20:11:06 +0000 (UTC)
>> Poul-Henning Kamp <phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
>
> I tried to read a floppy disk yesterday.
>
> When was the last time anybody tried that with a FreeBSD release ?
>
> Based on my brief experiments yesterday, 6.X is the last release
> where accessing floppy disks carry less than a 10% risk of a panic.
>
> Unless somebody fixes the fdc driver to work in -current, I intend
> to dust of my axe and cut it from the tree later this spring.

Yes, I did try at the time 9 was current (to make
fancy DOS floppies for BIOS for the old machine).

I remember I only had an issue with PCMCIA-attached floppy
drive (that uses fdc(4) afair), which didn't work then
(but I am user I used those long time ago).

Maybe the issue you are seeing is similar to my
PCMCIA-based floppy problem - I'd be happy
to have it fixed for recovery of old boxes.

(Will test -current on my ancient box tomorrow)

//Marcin