Re: Is there an easy way to find out which port loads which library?

From: Chris Rees <utisoft_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 20:17:43 +0000
On 18 Feb 2013 18:42, "Jeffrey Bouquet" <jeffreybouquet_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]

You can use pkg delete -x rubygem-mime-types, or pkg update && pkg
upgrade is really what you need there.

>> That works on legacy laptops as well as modern 4-core CPU, aided by the shell doing expansion, and I can type it without thinking, aided by the shell.
>> The subdirectory is directly available to grep, awk, less... without an .so.
>> I've not yet had time to implement a /var/db/pkg/ on  a machine running pkg
>> (by script maybe) so that it could continue.

Man pkg-query, but see below.

>> I've posted several times why the progress of /pkg/ has not been shown to [1] not slow down the workflow to which I am accustomed to upgrade multiple machines has not been reliably demonstrated... and edge cases in which the legacy method is
>> preferable.  Unfortunately, I ran out of time a long time ago to respond more in
>> depth; my views on the matter are scattered in the lists archives and forum archives
>> [further content redacted so as to not waste anyone's time.]

Shell autocomplete should be pretty easy to implement should you
choose, but given that many of the steps you describe are automated
anyway, it's hard to see any real advantage to manually manipulating
the data!

Rather than describing your current methods, you may be better off (in
a new thread) describing the *outcomes* that you would like, and we
can help you achieve them.

Chris