Re: FreeBSD Testing Facility

From: Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 07:43:59 -0800
On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 7:32 AM, Alexander Yerenkow <yerenkow_at_gmail.com>wrote:

> Decent testing system is a pretty complex system to be.
> I spent some time in this area, and gave it up, at least till better times
> :)
>
> But anyway, at least booting/working network stack/firewall could be
> easily tested with VMs.
> There just need to be a person dedicated to this, which is lacking now.
>

> --
> Regards,
> Alexander Yerenkow

With "BOINC" , people are trying to solve very complex problems by
contributing as much as what they can do to solve its parts .

A similar structure may be established for FreeBSD .

As an example , booting in virtual machine may be possible , but in a real
machine may not work .
Some main boards may work , but others may not work .

The FreeBSD project can not establish a very large testing farm .

People wanting to participate may contribute very much .

Every one will not test every thing .

For that reason a database will be constructed at the beginning to contain
( user , parts can be tested ). When a test is required , by querying the
database , a message will be send to the prospective users to inform them
about the tests .

The users will apply tests and return the results .

At present , there are "call for testing" messages . In such an organized
community , such messages will produce much more structured and effective
results .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk