Re: FreeBSD Testing Facility

From: Bernhard Fröhlich <decke_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 18:49:07 +0100
On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 4:43 PM, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk
<m.e.sanliturk_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 7:32 AM, Alexander Yerenkow <yerenkow_at_gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Decent testing system is a pretty complex system to be.
>> I spent some time in this area, and gave it up, at least till better times
>> :)
>>
>> But anyway, at least booting/working network stack/firewall could be
>> easily tested with VMs.
>> There just need to be a person dedicated to this, which is lacking now.
>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>> Alexander Yerenkow
>

> With "BOINC" , people are trying to solve very complex problems by
> contributing as much as what they can do to solve its parts .
>
> A similar structure may be established for FreeBSD .
>
> As an example , booting in virtual machine may be possible , but in a real
> machine may not work .
> Some main boards may work , but others may not work .
>
> The FreeBSD project can not establish a very large testing farm .
>
> People wanting to participate may contribute very much .
>
> Every one will not test every thing .

We certainly want to have a system that allows to perform tests in an
automated fashion. Both compile and runtime tests but I don't see us
running a huge lab of desktop or even worse laptop class hardware to
verify that everything works. So the only way to go is limited testing
if a new snapshot runs at all and then perform a few runtime tests and
probably some benchmarks to find major regressions.

Running a BOINC kind of system sounds like out of reach and not worth
the work. BOINC works because it's cool to find aliens or prove that
Einstein was wrong but testing software is not cool.

In your special case it looks like you hit some bug so please file a PR
and provide as much details as possible to track down what is causing
this.

--
Bernhard Froehlich
http://www.bluelife.at/