Re: Response of *.freebsd.org websites are very slow

From: Daniel Nebdal <dnebdal_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 11:23:43 +0100
I think you're supposed to be automatically sent to the mirror that is
closest to you - for some value of "closest". If the mirror you're
getting has issues, that might show up like this. Could you post the
output of "traceroute ftp.freebsd.org" ? It should show which mirror
you're getting, and perhaps if there are any obvious problems on the
way.

Also, you can try setting PACKAGEROOT to e.g.
ftp://ftp.beastie.tdk.net , to see if that makes pkg_add work better.
That's the mirror closest to me - if that one works ok for you, it's
another sign that the problem is with your local mirror. :)

--
Daniel Nebdal