Re: installworld failure due to cross-device links

From: Stefan Esser <se_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2013 16:58:13 +0100
Am 02.01.2013 14:26, schrieb Nathan Whitehorn:
> On 01/02/13 07:04, Stefan Esser wrote:
>> I'd be interested in the general policy on LINKS vs. SYMLINKS
>> between directories that might end up on different file systems.
>>
>> There seems to be an assumption that system directories in /usr
>> (e.g. /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, /usr/libexec) are on the same file
>> system, but I do not think that this assumption is documented.
>>
>> I'm using a ZFS only installation of -CURRENT and have separate file
>> systems for several of the directories in / and /usr, that usually
>> share a file system (e.g. /bin, /sbin, but also /usr/bin/, /usr/sbin
>> and /usr/libexec are independent file systems).
>>
>> An older case is the link from /usr/bin/chgrp to /usr/sbin/chown
>> (see usr.sbin/chown/Makefile), which is easily fixed by using a
>> SMYLINK instead of a LINK.
>>
>> And now there is usr.sbin/bsdinstall/partedit/Makefile, which as of
>> r244859 creates a link from /usr/libexec/bsdinstall to /usr/sbin/sade.
>>
>> This breaks with /usr/bin and /usr/sbin on different file systems,
>> while it should not according to the commit message:
>>

> Thanks for the patch! I've committed it (slightly modified) as r244958.
> I haven't taken any action on the chgrp/chown issue, though.

Thanks for the fix. Seems I had a wrong idea of the semantics of the
(SYM)LINKS macro, as I had assumed that the build target would be
linked to the list of names (instead of pairs of source/dest).

I did not expect you to do anything with chown/chgrp, but I still
think there should be a policy on whether hard links may be used to
connect files in different directories (which might be in different
file systems).

Regards, STefan