Re: ZFS/RAIDZ and SAMBA: abyssimal performance

From: Garrett Cooper <yanegomi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 12:33:06 -0800
On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 10:28 AM, Fabian Keil
<freebsd-listen_at_fabiankeil.de> wrote:

> While I agree that the values are system dependant the purpose of
> the tunables could still be documented together with a description
> of how to properly test that they have any effect at all and that
> it's an improvement compared to the defaults.
>
> Scarce ZFS tuning documentation is also a problem upstream which
> probably doesn't help.

The documentation is there (see the Evil ZFS Tuning Guide, etc), the
problem is that our OS is Solaris so the directions do not directly
apply.

As for the Samba settings, there's already a document at samba.org
that describes what needs to be done:
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/speed.html
.

My point is: the documentation is already there in both areas. One
just has to read, tweak, and test. There isn't a magic formula or
recipe for getting your box to go faster for all cases.

Thanks,
-Garrett