Re: ZFS/RAIDZ and SAMBA: abyssimal performance

From: Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen_at_fabiankeil.de>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2013 11:05:30 +0100
Garrett Cooper <yanegomi_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 10:28 AM, Fabian Keil
> <freebsd-listen_at_fabiankeil.de> wrote:

> > While I agree that the values are system dependant the purpose of
> > the tunables could still be documented together with a description
> > of how to properly test that they have any effect at all and that
> > it's an improvement compared to the defaults.
> >
> > Scarce ZFS tuning documentation is also a problem upstream which
> > probably doesn't help.
>
> The documentation is there (see the Evil ZFS Tuning Guide, etc), the
> problem is that our OS is Solaris so the directions do not directly
> apply.

I was actually referring to the "Evil ZFS Tuning Guide" which,
while helpful, doesn't come close to completely documenting the
tunables that exist and in my opinion also doesn't really address
the testing issue.

Obviously I don't expect anyone else to benchmark my own systems for
me, but more information about the expected effects would allow me
to test more efficiently.

The fact that it targets Solaris and that the directions don't
apply directly never bothered me so far and I think the existing
parts are pretty good in general.

Fabian