Re: Expanding ZFS RAIDZ on the fly?

From: Tom Evans <tevans.uk_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 10:39:10 +0000
On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 7:10 AM, O. Hartmann
<ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> My question may sound naiv, sorry.
>
> I have already set up a RAIDZ (on FreeBSD 10.0-CUR), comprised with
> three 3 TB disks. I'd like to expand the array with an additional disk -
> on the fly.
>
> oh

It's not possible to expand by just 1 disk. Expanding with another 3
disks is possible though, or "backup, destroy, create, restore".

Expanding or reducing the number of disks in a raidz is the mythical
block pointer rewrite functionality, google will tell more.

Cheers

Tom