Re: Expanding ZFS RAIDZ on the fly?

From: Paul Schenkeveld <freebsd_at_psconsult.nl>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 15:05:57 +0100
On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 10:39:10AM +0000, Tom Evans wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 7:10 AM, O. Hartmann
> <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> > My question may sound naiv, sorry.
> >
> > I have already set up a RAIDZ (on FreeBSD 10.0-CUR), comprised with
> > three 3 TB disks. I'd like to expand the array with an additional disk -
> > on the fly.
> >
> > oh
> >

> It's not possible to expand by just 1 disk. Expanding with another 3
> disks is possible though, or "backup, destroy, create, restore".
>
> Expanding or reducing the number of disks in a raidz is the mythical
> block pointer rewrite functionality, google will tell more.

Another growth path is replacing each of the existing disks by larger
ones and resilvering the data with 'zpool replace ...'. Having a spare
drive bay is really a help so if you wanted to add just a 4th drive
because you've only one bay left you should consider leaving that one
unoccupied so you can easily grow to bigger disks now or in the future.

HTH

Paul Schenkeveld