Re: [HEADSUP] No more pkg_install on HEAD by default

From: Teske, Devin <Devin.Teske_at_fisglobal.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2013 16:46:29 +0000
On Jul 13, 2013, at 8:17 AM, Teske, Devin wrote:

On Jul 13, 2013, at 1:07 AM, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 11:52:19PM +0000, Teske, Devin wrote:
On Jul 12, 2013, at 4:16 PM, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:

Hi,

I have just committed (r253305) a change the make pkg_install not being built
and installed by default on HEAD.

If you are still relying on it, be careful and add WITH_PKGTOOLS=yes in your
src.conf(5)

[snip]

I for one am effected and will have to change things.

If you are referring to bsdconfig's package management,

[snip] Yes. that's what I'm talking about. [snip]

it is not working anyway
HEAD as we do not and will not provides any pkg_install for HEAD via any of the
usual distribution process: http, ftp, CD.

The FTP mirror of packages is going away? (if you said yes and pointed at a prior conversation about leading up to this, I would not be surprised -- I'm just questioning it because I don't see the value in pairing-down methods of acquisition)

If this is the case, what's the surviving acquisition method? A custom TCP protocol perhaps?

There may be those that wish to use pkg in the pkg_add manner and download things and then inspect them manually before adding them. For example, I often go the freshports.org<http://freshports.org> to find a package that fills a need... download it from the official FTP server(s), inspect all of them, and choose the one that best fits me need (and only then installing from the local file; tossing the rest). If I go through the "pkg" tool, I have to inspect things *after* they've been installed which is not to my satisfaction.

[snip
bsdconfig is not installed by
default,

Wrong, please see...
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=252862
[snip]

The first thing that comes to mind in reprogramming bsdconfig's package management for pkgng...

We have a *very* large list of FTP mirrors. This will presumably be replaced with a list of "pkg" mirrors.

Do we have such a list that we want to program into the base configuration of bsdconfig?
--
Devin