Re: [HEADSUP] No more pkg_install on HEAD by default

From: Teske, Devin <Devin.Teske_at_fisglobal.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 03:18:06 +0000
On Jul 13, 2013, at 4:51 PM, Mark Felder wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 13, 2013, at 13:54, Teske, Devin wrote:
>>

>> If FTP access (or any of the other remote access methods) are going away
>> for HEAD pkg access, I'll need to know so I can make the appropriate
>> changes in the HEAD branch of bsdconfig.
>>

> It's simpler than you think. The new pkg uses libfetch. You can have
> your PACAKGESITE be file:// ftp:// http:// https:// ...

In bsdconfig (as one might expect), before a user installs a package, he or she is presented with a list of packages with descriptions (and perhaps other limited information).

ASIDE: For efficiency, I will actually need three things: (1) a list of all packages (2) their descriptions and (3) their run-time dependencies.

NOTE: I'll need run-time dependencies so that as they're checking boxes in the UI, I can update accordingly (has nothing to do with how the dependencies are handled when the packages get installed; I'll let pkg handle that when it comes time, but for the UI and for the "review" screen, I want the user to be informed and I can do that more efficiently if I have a master-list and don't have to make continuous queries).

That being said, I was planning on doing a "pkg rquery" to get that master list of [minimally] 3-pieces of information.

What protocol does that "rquery" run on? What would one have to do to set up their own server that can accept an "rquery"? (our customers don't have Internet access)

Last but not least...

Can you do an "rquery" on a local repository? (say, one that has been mounted via NFS or some other media, local or otherwise but looking like a local filesystem once-mounted). What would be required to get a local repository like that going?

> I do suspect that HTTP_PROXY support is probably not available as I
> recall seeing a post where someone was asking about that getting
> implemented for fetch. I'll have to research that again, though.

Thanks. Keep me up to date on that.

Neither sysinstall nor bsdinstall really give HTTP_PROXY access much thought (they support it, but only minimally). They just construct a raw HTTP header with the FTP URL and send that directly to the proxy. One cute thing it does (when initializing the connection) is test for Squid and if-so, appends ";type=i" to the URL (to force binary download versus ascii).

No support for proxy-server authentication (however user/pass authentication for the FTP server is passed through to the proxy-server).
--
Devin