Ports with daemons on uninstall...

From: Ian FREISLICH <ianf_at_clue.co.za>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 17:52:37 +0200
Hi

I have to ask if there's a standard for the way ports should handle
their daemons when the port is uninstalled.

I've encountered 3 varients of ports behaviour on uninstall:

1. Do nothing
2. Stop the daemon
3. Ask if the daemon should be stopped

#1 closely followed by #3 are the least irritating when it comes
to portupgrade because you can at least have the service running
while upgrading.  At least with #3 the upgrade gets paused until
the propmpt is answered and you're then aware that some service
will go away immediately so you can be prepared to restart it.

#2 is extremely irritating because upgrading with portupgrade etc
kills the service.  For instance isc-dhcpd* does this which means
that for some time, dhcp may be unavailable.  It could be less
irritating if it would automatically start the service, but that
can have its own problems.

Does the project have a preferred method for handling running
daenmons on uninstall?  I know that Linux will even start daemons
on install.

Ian

--
Ian Freislich