Re: Ports with daemons on uninstall...

From: Jilles Tjoelker <jilles_at_stack.nl>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 21:17:25 +0200
On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 05:52:37PM +0200, Ian FREISLICH wrote:
> I have to ask if there's a standard for the way ports should handle
> their daemons when the port is uninstalled.

> I've encountered 3 varients of ports behaviour on uninstall:

> 1. Do nothing
> 2. Stop the daemon
> 3. Ask if the daemon should be stopped

> #1 closely followed by #3 are the least irritating when it comes
> to portupgrade because you can at least have the service running
> while upgrading.  At least with #3 the upgrade gets paused until
> the propmpt is answered and you're then aware that some service
> will go away immediately so you can be prepared to restart it.

> #2 is extremely irritating because upgrading with portupgrade etc
> kills the service.  For instance isc-dhcpd* does this which means
> that for some time, dhcp may be unavailable.  It could be less
> irritating if it would automatically start the service, but that
> can have its own problems.

> Does the project have a preferred method for handling running
> daenmons on uninstall?  I know that Linux will even start daemons
> on install.

I think that almost all of this per-port code should be removed with
pkgng. The HANDLE_RC_SCRIPTS pkg.conf option will stop/start the rc.d
script during deinstallation/installation. By default, services are left
running.

Stopping the service on deinstall but not starting it again on install
seems like a particularly bad idea.

Apart from the annoyance of the restarts, automatic stopping and
starting is probably the best policy for having things "just work". Some
daemons will crash or otherwise stop being useful when their files have
been deleted or replaced, and the new rc.d script might be unable to
stop the old daemon.

--
Jilles Tjoelker