Re: [HEADSUP] No more pkg_install on HEAD by default

From: Teske, Devin <Devin.Teske_at_fisglobal.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 16:45:40 +0000
On Jul 14, 2013, at 11:33 PM, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 04:52:26PM +0000, Teske, Devin wrote:

On Jul 14, 2013, at 8:01 AM, Chris Rees wrote:

On 14 Jul 2013, at 08:29, Teske, Devin wrote:

Simple, really.

Let's take RPM for example. The RPM package format has been ported to other platforms.

So does pkgng ported on Linux, OS X, dragonfly, NetBSD...

Sweet! (bright future!)

But, I can't take archivers/rpm4 and build on RPM on FreeBSD and install it on RedHat.

Yes you can, I do it at work all the time, on FreeBSD I do create AIX rpms and
RedHat rpms.

What version of RedHat?

Worked on RedHat EL4 using rpm3, but in-practice -- attempts to recreate that workflow on RedHat EL6 using rpm4 have failed.

Please see a copy/paste of the output of when we build an RPM on FreeBSD-8.1 and try to install it on RedHat Enterprise Linux 6:

http://pastebin.com/zpzjxP2T

Spoiler: "package {X} is intended for a freebsd operating system" (not installed)

This is because the RPM format records the platform that you "build" your RPM on (not the binaries, just the RPM) *into* said RPM.

So does pkgng.

Good to know.

This actually adds a requirement to the RPM production that the RPMs be produced on the platform that they will be installed-to.

No.

Yes. See pastebin link above.

Currently, no such restriction exists for the building of FreeBSD packages (within our system). This would have been true if we had ported pkg_create (and may continue to be true if we ported pkg and its ilk), but let's say for the sake of argument that the future of "pkg" looks bright and it gets ported to all sorts of systems (ported in a fashion similar to RPM) *and* we find one day that the +MANIFEST starts containing a target-platform (resulting in refusal to install a *.txz package because it was rolled on a different platform.

Thank for describing the exact situation pkg is right now.

Glad to help ;D

(not so happy about the target platform being recorded -- is there an override? setting UNAME_{a,r,etc.}?)

In that case, we'd then prefer to by-pass the tools and use our own method of creating the tar-ball to lift such a restriction.

The restriction you are speaking about does not exists.

See pastebin link above.

ASIDE: If I knew how to force rpmbuild into creating androgynous packages for other architectures, I'd be doing that to life the restriction there too, but I haven't figured out that.

Basically... within our "pkgbase" tree, we like the branch within the tree to dictate how a package is built... not what platform you're on. The goal being that we can run a single package-build host that builds all of our packages from a single platform.

You can do it with pkgng just easily, as well as you can do it with rpm.

W/respect to RPM, see pastebin link above.
--
Devin