[Call For Help] Clang + OpenJDK + head + amd64 == cocktail of death (for clusters)

From: Baptiste Daroussin <bapt_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 10:39:17 +0200
Hi all,

It's been a while since we are experiencing major problem on the package
buidling cluster: it dies when building package for head amd64. (the buidling
jail being the snapshort from July 7th iirc.)

After some investigation we discover that blacklisting openjdk6 allows the
building process to go to completion again.

But not providing java packages is not a good solution.

We have managed to "fix" the build by limiting the allowed memory usage on each
building jail to 8G, the result is a huge load of java packages just fail to
build because it eats all the memory and then segfault, but at least they do not
kill the box again. Have a look at the pkg-fallout mailing list you should be
able to see lots of java port failed because of that.

It seems to happen only on head amd64, so far we think it is only happening when
jdk is built with clang.

I have no time, neither skill to investigate that, so please if you are
interested in having java packages available have a look at it, fix the problem
if any may that be clang, openjdk, the ports tree framework for java building,
or anything related. Otherwise I'll have to mark all failing packages as broken
on head amd64 in the portstree :(

regards,
Bapt