Re: Cannot startx on FreeBSD10 Current

From: Matthew D. Fuller <fullermd_at_over-yonder.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 23:39:09 -0500
On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 12:29:49AM +0000 I heard the voice of
Miguel Clara, and lo! it spake thus:

> The only way to turn off is but "force" and this can cause damage to
> filesystems, this is indeed a very big issue, and I'm not sure if
> its specific to KMS or some freebsd-current problem cause I have no
> way to look into it!

One little trick you might try is to login to a second VTY and run
something like "sleep 60 ; shutdown -r now" before switching back and
running startx; if it's just a UI crash/lockup rather than a
whole-system such, that'll give you a clean reboot without FS damage.
Of course, if it's a whole-system lockup, it won't, but that also
means you can tell which it is, which may be diagnostically useful...

(ssh'ing in from another machine is another way to track such things,
but may be less convenient depending on your own setup...)

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd_at_over-yonder.net