Re: Cannot startx on FreeBSD10 Current

From: Miguel Clara <miguelmclara_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 15:00:59 +0000
On Sat Jun 22 04:39:09 2013, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 12:29:49AM +0000 I heard the voice of
> Miguel Clara, and lo! it spake thus:
>>
>> The only way to turn off is but "force" and this can cause damage to
>> filesystems, this is indeed a very big issue, and I'm not sure if
>> its specific to KMS or some freebsd-current problem cause I have no
>> way to look into it!
>
> One little trick you might try is to login to a second VTY and run
> something like "sleep 60 ; shutdown -r now" before switching back and
> running startx; if it's just a UI crash/lockup rather than a
> whole-system such, that'll give you a clean reboot without FS damage.
> Of course, if it's a whole-system lockup, it won't, but that also
> means you can tell which it is, which may be diagnostically useful...
>
> (ssh'ing in from another machine is another way to track such things,
> but may be less convenient depending on your own setup...)

I tried the ssh trick, first thing that crossed my mind... but its no
good after the reboot or shutdown, I guess by then sshd is not running
anymore but I have no way to know!

I know this is something in active development but this seams to be of
significant importance, I wish I could help somehow but I can't even
see what's happening!