Re: Response of *.freebsd.org websites are very slow

From: Kevin Oberman <rkoberman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2013 09:19:26 -0800
On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 6:54 AM, Fbsd8 <fbsd8_at_a1poweruser.com> wrote:

> Peter Wemm wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 3:44 AM, Fbsd8 <fbsd8_at_a1poweruser.com> wrote:
>> [..]
>>
>>> From cleveland ohio and www.freebsd.org is un-reachable again. It comes
>>> and
>>> gos. To me it's acting like someone high up is making dns changes.
>>> Some freebsd official better contact yahoo and put a stop to what ever
>>> there
>>> fooling around with.
>>>

>> Nope.  It isn't DNS, but there is a routing issue for ipv6 space
>> between Level-3 and and Yahoo.  I'm working on it.
>>

> Peter Wemm;
> Just to keep you up to date, it's now March 02 and the same slowness /
> time out problem still exists. What ever your doing is causing it. Please
> don't leave your trial ipv6 fix in effect when your not actively working on
> the problem. Your trial fix is effecting all the "freebsd" sites. Leaving
> your nonworking trial fix in live production status is NOT the correct way
> of testing it. Restoring the environment to the known working condition in
> between cycles of testing your trial fix is the normal accepted method of
> testing such production level fixes to limit the un-desirable effects of
> said production level testing.

As of this time there is NO IPv6 address for www.freebsd.org. I assume that
it was removed until the issues of routing between Y! and Level(3) are
resolved.

I'm not at all sure why you refer to the IPv6 support as a "trial". As far
as I know, the IPv6 was intended to be normal, production service and, for
almost everyone, it worked fine, Unfortunately, the routing via Level(3)
was not set up correctly and freebsd.org could not be reached via Level(3).
It was NOT an IPv6 issue. The same thing has caused the same sort of
problems with IPv4 and will continue to do so as it is simply two parties
not understanding what the other expects in terms of routing.

Also, please don't blame either side unless you know more details of the
address assignment than are publicly available. I do find it disturbing
that it is taking so long to fix, though. It really is not rocket science
for people who understand BGP and routing policy.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: rkoberman_at_gmail.com