Re: r247839: broken pipe - for top, sudo and ports

From: O. Hartmann <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2013 18:48:59 +0100
Am 03/06/13 14:04, schrieb John Baldwin:
> On Tuesday, March 05, 2013 2:35:48 pm Hartmann, O. wrote:
>> On recent FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT/amd64 (CLANG buildworld, serveral systems
>> (3) the same symptoms)), many services drop a sporadic
>>
>> broken pipe
>>
>> This happesn to system's top (I have to type it several times to get
>> finally a top), it happens to "sudo su -", it happens to SSH (drops
>> connection with broken pipe) and as I reported earlier, it seems to
>> affect the entire port system, since I can not build any port, I receive
>>
>> *** [do-extract] Signal 13
>>
>> This is dramatic for me, because several modules (rtc, linux_adobe ...)
>> can not be recompiled as it is required by the last /usr/src/UPDATING
>> entry 20130304.
>>
>> Since dbus fails to start and even the nVidia driver (which is a kernel
>> module, it canot be built and therefore ... ).
>>
>> Dimitry, I put you into CC, just in case. It seems that the last commits
>> (not only the new DRM2 mess) broke something.
>>
>> I hope that others using FreeBSD 10.0CURRENT with CLANG can confirm this.\
>
> Have you tried backing up to just before all of pjd_at_'s file descriptor and
> capsicum commits?  It broke some other stuff initially related to fd passing,
> so I don't think it is beyond imagination that it broke something with UNIX
> domain sockets in general.

Yes, just this moment, the systems are "back" to r247479 and up and
running as expected. I have also one box running a more recent r247539
or similar, but beyond that, things get really weird.

As I reported, the problem isn't present in single user mode and seems
to affect all of my systems which use nscd and OpenLDAP (this is
standard (LDAP) in our environment).

As pjd_at_ mentioned, things could be broken and I wait until the dust has
seddled.

With regards,
Oliver