Re: using multiple interfaces for same Network Card

From: Matthew Seaman <matthew_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 12:02:13 +0000
On 12/03/2013 10:41, Yasir hussan wrote:
> Thanks for notic but all the elebration was for make alias on one interface
> but i want to have multiple interface, i can no where that some one would
> have tring to creating new interfaces and using them, or may be i am
> missing something, just send its solution if have, solution should be for

Sorry, we're not understanding you very well.

If you have a network card with several ethernet sockets on it, then the
OS will already present you with an interface per socket.  That's pretty
obvious, so I guess that's not what you're really after.

Do you mean you want to use VLans?  (virtual local area networks) --
that involves creating what are effectively separate virtual interfaces,
one for ech vlan, all based on the same physical interface.

Note: you need support and configuration for this in you networking
switch gear.

However, to configure vlan interfaces on FreeBSD, edit /etc/rc.conf
to add first a setting to show what vlan interfaces you want to attach
to your physical interface:

vlans_em0="vlan101 vlan102 vlan107"

Then you can set the vlan tag on creation of each clan by adding:

create_args_vlan101="vlan 101"
create_args_vlan102="vlan 102"
create_args_vlan107="vlan 107"

plus you'll need to set up IP addresses on the new vlan interfaces
exactly as you would for a physical interface/

See vlan(4) for more detail.

	Cheers,

	Matthew