Re: NewNFS vs. oldNFS for 10.0?

From: Rick Macklem <rmacklem_at_uoguelph.ca>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 09:53:21 -0400 (EDT)
Andre Oppermann wrote:
> Hi Rick, all,
>
> is there a plan to decide for one NFS implementation for FreeBSD 10.0,
> or to keep both around indefinately?
>
> I'm talking about:
> oldNFS in sys/{nfs, nfsclient, nfsserver} NFSv2+NFSv3
> newNFS in sys/fs/{nfs, nfsclient, nfsserver} NFSv2+NFSv3+NFSv4
>
> NewNFS supports newer NFS standards and seems to have proven itself in
> some quite heavy traffic environments.
>
> Is there any reason to keep oldNFS around other than nostalgic?

I was planning on asking the "collective" that question at some point.
I think the newNFS works well enough that it can become the only NFS
in the kernel for 10.0, but I don't see that as my decision.

I am only aware of 2 possible regressions of the new one w.r.t. the
old one:
- A performance issue for the new server when under heavy NFS over TCP
  load, where there is excessive contention on a single mutex, etc.
  - I think we now have a patch that resolves this, which is being
    tested by Garrett Wollman. If testing goes well and a refined
    version of the patch makes it into head, this should be resolved.
- A few sites have run into performance problems for the new NFS client,
  that were a result of it using a larger default I/O size (64K vs 32K
  for the old one). I believe the performance problem was related to
  network interface/driver issues for the larger 64K+ RPC messages.
  This can be dealt with 2 ways:
  - Leave it as it is now and then any site with this problem will
    need to use rsize=32768,wsize=32768 mount options to avoid it.
  OR
  - Modify the new client so that it uses 32K by default instead of
    the size specified by a server. (Most servers specify 64K or larger
    these days. FreeBSD is currently at 64. Solaris is 256K and allows
    1Mbyte.

So, I was going to ask the question. Maybe now is the time.

Any comments w.r.t. removing the oldNFS from the kernel for 10.0
would be appreciated, rick