Re: NewNFS vs. oldNFS for 10.0?

From: Eggert, Lars <lars_at_netapp.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 14:01:59 +0000
Hi,

this reminds me that I ran into an issue lately with the new NFS and locking for NFSv3 mounts on a client that ran -CURRENT and a server that ran -STABLE.

When I ran "portmaster -a" on the client, which mounted /usr/ports and /usr/local, as well as the location of the respective sqlite databases over NFSv3, the client network stack became unresponsive on all interfaces for 30 or so seconds and e.g. SSH connections broke. The serial console remained active throughout, and the system didn't crash. About a minute after the wedgie I could SSH into the box again, too.

The issue went away when I killed lockd on the client, but that caused the sqlite database to become corrupted over time. The workaround for me was to move to NFSv4, which has been working fine. (One more reason to make it the default...)

I'm not really sure how to debug this further, but would be willing to work with someone off-list who'd tell me what tests to run.

Lars