Re: NewNFS vs. oldNFS for 10.0?

From: Rick Macklem <rmacklem_at_uoguelph.ca>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 22:13:39 -0400 (EDT)
Andre Oppermann wrote:
> On 15.03.2013 15:01, Eggert, Lars wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > this reminds me that I ran into an issue lately with the new NFS and
> > locking for NFSv3 mounts on a client that ran -CURRENT and a server
> > that ran
> > -STABLE.
> >
> > When I ran "portmaster -a" on the client, which mounted /usr/ports
> > and /usr/local, as well as the location of the respective sqlite
> > databases over
> > NFSv3, the client network stack became unresponsive on all
> > interfaces for 30 or so seconds and e.g. SSH connections broke. The
> > serial console
> > remained active throughout, and the system didn't crash. About a
> > minute after the wedgie I could SSH into the box again, too.
>
> The total wedge of all interfaces certainly shouldn't happen. This
> smells like blocking on a lock on a socket_upcall() thereby wedging
> tcp_input. I don't know the lockd code so maybe Rick knows how this
> could happen.

I'm afraid I can't help much. The lockd and all the NFS stuff (old and
new) share the kernel rpc (sys/rpc) code and that is where the upcalls
are. At a quick look at them, they do have to acquire a mutex, but it
would be hard to believe that would take 30sec?

Also, I think (I'm not familiar with the NLM, so I'm not sure) that the
NLM normally uses UDP and not TCP. It is a separate protocol with different
port#s etc than NFS.

rick