Re: bin/152154: script(1) -k malfunctions with certain shells (e.g. tcsh, bash, zsh)

From: Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg_at_tristatelogic.com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 15:10:32 -0700
In message <20130510213610.GG8239_at_home.opsec.eu>, you wrote:

>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=bin/152154
>>
>> It has been suggested to me (by a committer) that I should raise the
>> issue of this PR here on these lists, because the problem described
>> within the PR remains a real problem, and despite my having proposed
>> something that seems to be a perfectly workable fix, no action has
>> been taken on this PR for some years now.
>
>Having looked at the PR, may I suggest that you look at sysutils/screen
>and screen -L especially instead of script -k -- and add some
>input logging to screen ? Or, for the tmux fraction, at sysutils/tmux ?

Where I come from, we have a very common saying "It's a free country!"

Thus, you may indeed make that suggestion.  In fact you are free to
suggest anything you like.

Unfortunately, I currently already have an overflowing TO-DO list and I
am not taking anything more onto my own personal plate at this time.

>I'm not sure why you absolutly *need* the input logging -- can you
>describe the use case ? Is it some security-audit-issue ?

I really do not intend to be at all rude, but...

I'm not sure why you are asking _me_ to defend the existance of the
script -k option.  I probably could do so, but that is rather besides
the point, I think.  The option exists, and has existed, for quite a
long time.  At some time in the ancient past, presumably when dinosaurs
(and perhaps even Richie, Thompson, & Kernighan) roamed the earth,
someone somewhere thought that being able to have script(1) log both
input and output was a Good Idea[tm] and the -k option was born.
Unfortunately, in FreeBSD, that option is buggy.  It doesn't work right.
It doesn't work according to specification.  I proposed a way (code)
to fix that.  That's all.  If you want to debate the merits of the
very existance of the script program, or any option thereof, I'll be
more than happy to do so anytime over a beer... as long as you are
buying.

In the meantime may I suggest that the easily verifiable bug that I
originally filed a PR on should be fixed?

Regards,
rfg