Re: BSD sleep

From: Alexander Yerenkow <yerenkow_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 15:11:04 +0300
I'm just saying that there's pretty space for discussion.
If someone raised this now, why not discuss it now.

> If you sleep one hour, do you sleep one hour from now or one hour from
the system clock which may change in the next hour? If it's the system
clock, you may sleep for ten minutes or ten hours. If you need to sleep for
3600 seconds, that's simple and understandable.

How about rephrase it:

> If you sleep 3600 seconds, do you sleep 3600 seconds from now or 3600
seconds from the system clock which may change in the next hour? If it's
the system clock, you may sleep for ten minutes or ten hours.

How "way of specifying period" changing the fact that "internal minimal
unit of sleep" is not clearly specified in manpage?
Also, there no info on how DST/ ntp time changes affects of running sleeps.

I don't see right now how new flag (which currently if specified makes
`sleep` exit with help), could break something, but I see that this is
could be useful in some cases.
This also raise question what sleep should do if something specified
incorrectly, like sleep 2h30m30m , or 1h1h or else.

And also if any changes would be accepted, this should be specified in
manpage (that one about `m` as month).

About non-portable feature with non-integers, it was just side observation.

--
Regards,
Alexander Yerenkow