Re: Official FreeBSD Binary Packages now available for pkgng

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2013 13:27:39 -0700
On 2 November 2013 10:44, Mark Felder <feld_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> But SRV has been widely deployed since… before 2000? It’s literally the backbone of Active Directory deployments. Here’s a list of things that his company’s network design probably breaks:
>
> * Office 365 (cloud Exchange hosting by Microsoft; requires you use SRV records to get your company’s clients pointed to their cloud infrastructure)
> * LDAP
> * SIP
> * XMPP
> * CALDAV / CARDDAV
> * SMTP, IMAP, and POP clients should also obey published SRV records. Not sure how many clients really do, though.
> * Teamspeak 3 doesn’t force you to use SRV, but you can use only SRV records
> * Minecraft
> * Last I knew IRCv4 specs are slated to include SRV as a core feature

Wonderful.

> I can’t speak for the caching issues, but SRV is pretty active and only getting more popular because things like “round robin DNS” are a horrible, ugly, unreliable hack and things like Anycast or Geo-DNS isn’t always feasible.

I can speak for the caching issues. It's a non-starter.

I'd rather see patches to Squid and such that support more automated
SRV handling (if it doesn't already do it; I haven't checked lately!)
and make things work correctly with caching. With a fallback, of
course, to A records.

A lot of HTTP infrastructure lives on anycast DNS, HTTP redirects and
geoip records. Saying it's broken and not feasible is nonsense.

Also - "all" you have to do is require all the servers in your farm to
handle requests for 'pkg.freebsd.org' rather than
'somethinguniqueperhost.freebsd.org' and then teach pkgng to actually
issue requests for that, and caching will mostly just work again.
Right now you're having SRV return a set of named aliases to issue
requests to and this set of hostnames is what's breaking effective
caching.

Sheesh!

-adrian