Re: Official FreeBSD Binary Packages now available for pkgng

From: Mark Felder <feld_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2013 17:19:40 -0500
On Nov 2, 2013, at 3:27 PM, Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> A lot of HTTP infrastructure lives on anycast DNS, HTTP redirects and
> geoip records. Saying it's broken and not feasible is nonsense.

More specifically what I was referring to was the fact that traditionally HTTP failover with round-robin A records is very unreliable; every client can act differently. You really need to be doing anycast as well to ensure those records are always available which adds additional architecture complexity that the project may not have the resources to throw at. GeoDNS also adds a layer of complexity, but as it turns out there are members of the project with extensive experience running it. SRV would give us very simple, cheap, reliable failover. It seems we do have some blockers, though.

The good news is that we fully control the client. Hopefully we can just work around these issues.