Re: [CFT] bsdinstall and zfsboot enhancements

From: Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2013 22:40:07 -0500
On 11/02/13 12:59, Teske, Devin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Another Call For Testing...
> This one is for bsdinstall.
Will look at the rest later...

> + Update bsdinstall's "config" script to adjust ttyu* entries in
> /etc/ttys when it is determined that we are in-fact doing an install
> over serial (e.g. bhyve).

I think this is the wrong solution. The installer is run in a lot of
circumstances, and tying it to the boot environment is a mistake. If we
want serial consoles to default to on for x86, they should default to on
(they do for most other architectures). The magic should never ever be
in the installer.

Setting the terminal type to vt100 unconditionally is also questionable.
Using kbdcontrol also doesn't do the right thing, since it will turn on
serial consoles if you install to, say, a disk image from an xterm or if
you use newcons.
-Nathan