Re: [CFT] bsdinstall and zfsboot enhancements

From: Teske, Devin <Devin.Teske_at_fisglobal.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2013 17:33:34 +0000
On Nov 2, 2013, at 8:40 PM, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:

> On 11/02/13 12:59, Teske, Devin wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Another Call For Testing...
>> This one is for bsdinstall.
> Will look at the rest later...
>>
>> + Update bsdinstall's "config" script to adjust ttyu* entries in
>> /etc/ttys when it is determined that we are in-fact doing an install
>> over serial (e.g. bhyve).
>>

> I think this is the wrong solution.

Thank you for your feedback. Sincerely.

> The installer is run in a lot of circumstances, and tying it to the boot environment is a mistake. If we want serial consoles to default to on for x86, they should default to on (they do for most other architectures). The magic should never ever be in the installer.

Well, I would say we *don't* want serial to be on by default...
That would actually hurt me at $work where we actually use
the serial ports for barcode readers.

> Setting the terminal type to vt100 unconditionally is also questionable. Using kbdcontrol also doesn't do the right thing, since it will turn on serial consoles if you install to, say, a disk image from an xterm or if you use newcons.

Kk.

I'm CC'ing Peter Grehan, because we only arrived at this solution
based on a quick discussion with Michael Dexter at vBSDcon with
respect to bhyve.

Peter, can you restate the problem for Nathan so that we can
maybe find a better home for this change? or perhaps more clearly
define (than I) how we arrived at the code for the bhyve work?
--
Devin