Re: [CFT] bsdinstall and zfsboot enhancements

From: Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2013 12:09:26 -0600
On Nov 3, 2013, at 11:33 AM, Teske, Devin wrote:

> On Nov 2, 2013, at 8:40 PM, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
>
>> On 11/02/13 12:59, Teske, Devin wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Another Call For Testing...
>>> This one is for bsdinstall.
>> Will look at the rest later...
>>>
>>> + Update bsdinstall's "config" script to adjust ttyu* entries in
>>> /etc/ttys when it is determined that we are in-fact doing an install
>>> over serial (e.g. bhyve).
>>>

>> I think this is the wrong solution.
>
> Thank you for your feedback. Sincerely.
>

>> The installer is run in a lot of circumstances, and tying it to the
>> boot environment is a mistake. If we want serial consoles to
>> default to on for x86, they should default to on (they do for most
>> other architectures). The magic should never ever be in the
>> installer.
>>

> Well, I would say we *don't* want serial to be on by default...
> That would actually hurt me at $work where we actually use
> the serial ports for barcode readers.

Hmm, that's tricky.

>> Setting the terminal type to vt100 unconditionally is also
>> questionable. Using kbdcontrol also doesn't do the right thing,
>> since it will turn on serial consoles if you install to, say, a
>> disk image from an xterm or if you use newcons.
>
> Kk.
>
> I'm CC'ing Peter Grehan, because we only arrived at this solution
> based on a quick discussion with Michael Dexter at vBSDcon with
> respect to bhyve.
>
> Peter, can you restate the problem for Nathan so that we can
> maybe find a better home for this change? or perhaps more clearly
> define (than I) how we arrived at the code for the bhyve work?

So I guess the real problem here is that init does not know enough to
start a login prompt on the console. This has irritated me for a while
actually. Maybe that should be fixed? The "console" entry, which would
always automatically work, in /etc/ttys is marked off, which
apparently happened in the runup to 4.0. It might be time to revisit
that.
-Nathan