Re: [CFT] bsdinstall and zfsboot enhancements

From: Peter Grehan <grehan_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2013 10:59:10 -0800
>> Peter, can you restate the problem for Nathan so that we can
>> maybe find a better home for this change? or perhaps more clearly
>> define (than I) how we arrived at the code for the bhyve work?

  The issue is that /etc/ttys is static. Serial console installs assume
that the user knows that the file should be edited manually to enable
getty on the serial port. This seems at odds with a server o/s :(

  The suggestion I brought up with Devin was to see if the install was
done on a serial port, and if so, then ask if the user wanted to enable
a getty on that terminal. I think the patch might need some work: for
instance, a sysctl could be used to see if the console is on a ttyu*
device, and only enable for that and not for all ttys. I was going to
try it out this weekend but was a bit slow off the mark :)

> So I guess the real problem here is that init does not know enough to
> start a login prompt on the console. This has irritated me for a while
> actually. Maybe that should be fixed? The "console" entry, which would
> always automatically work, in /etc/ttys is marked off, which apparently
> happened in the runup to 4.0. It might be time to revisit that.

  That's also not good :( /dev/console is assumed to be a sink for log
messages and not really an interactive tty.

later,

Peter.