Re: newcons comming

From: Ed Maste <emaste_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 10:30:39 -0500
On 4 November 2013 02:16, Kevin Oberman <rkoberman_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Excellent news. I'm really looking forward to newcons. Guess it's time to
> move my T520 to 10-Stable (or Beta)

I'm running a Newcons kernel on my Thinkpad X220 now and it's working
well, with a few minor quirks.  This is with the X-related packages
rebuilt with WITH_NEW_XORG= and WITH_KMS= in /etc/make.conf.

> Are you booting directly to X or using startx from the console? In either
> case, I think that i915kms should auto-load at the start of X, so you
> should not need to pre-load it.

I log in and running startx.  i915kms does auto-load.

> Does newcons require VESA? If not, you should be able to remove it from
> your kernel to get suspend/resume working from X.

It does not use VESA - it's removed from GENERIC on the newcons
branch.  Suspend and resume generally works on my X220 now, from X or
console.  There are some outstanding issues, for example the X display
sometimes ends up corrupted after resume; stopping and restarting X
fixes that.