Re: newcons comming

From: Kevin Oberman <rkoberman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2013 23:16:53 -0800
On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 2:01 PM, Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko_at_ambrisko.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 03:18:47PM +0300, Aleksandr Rybalko wrote:
> | Hello fellow hackers!
> |
> | I finally reach the point when I can work with newcons instead of
> | syscons on my laptop. Yes, I know it still buggy and have a lot of
> | style(9) problems. But we really have to get it into HEAD and 10.0 to
> | enable shiny new Xorg features, drivers, etc.
>
> I built the kernel from:
>         base/user/ed/newcons/
> and installed it on my new ThinkPad T530 with Intel graphics chip.
> In general it works better since now syspend and resume works with
> and without X.  However, as with my prior ThinkPads I need to switch
> out of X to suspend and resume.  So I have vidcontrol -s 1 in my
> /etc/rc.suspend and vidcontrol -s 9 in /etc/rc.resume.  If I don't
> the display ends up corrupted but somewhat working.
>
> I had to kldload i915kms in /etc/rc.local since having it there at
> boot via /boot/loader.conf resulted in the system not booting.  I need
> i915kms for X so I don't need to use vesa mode.
>
> The FreeBSD logo on boot is interesting but I'd prefer seeing
> FreeBSD boot messages to see what is happening.  I'm not sure if
> there is a flag to disable that since I have played with it much.
>
> However, on a whole it is much improved since with i915kms and
> newcons when in X via vesa I couldn't switch to a non-X display
> since it was blank.

Excellent news. I'm really looking forward to newcons. Guess it's time to
move my T520 to 10-Stable (or Beta)
.
Since I'm not running 10, I may simply be clueless. If so, please ignore
the rest of this.

Are you booting directly to X or using startx from the console? In either
case, I think that i915kms should auto-load at the start of X, so you
should not need to pre-load it.

Does newcons require VESA? If not, you should be able to remove it from
your kernel to get suspend/resume working from X.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: rkoberman_at_gmail.com