Re: cron(8) improvement

From: Erik Cederstrand <erik+lists_at_cederstrand.dk>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 09:16:50 +0100
Den 07/11/2013 kl. 13.11 skrev Kimmo Paasiala <kpaasial_at_gmail.com>:

> Snippets installed by ports should be disabled by default and
> enabled only selectively by variables in rc.conf(5) or some other
> configuration file to mirror what periodic(8) is doing now.  This is
> an absolute must because having them enabled by default is a recipe
> for disaster.

rc.conf is usually only for boot-time config and starting daemons. E.g. portaudit just installs a periodic script, and I think the disaster would happen when you forget to also enable it in some config file. PostgreSQL installs both a daemon and periodic scripts, but the scripts do nothing when the daemon is not running. So I think it really depends on what the port does.

Erik