Re: freebsd perf testing

From: Olivier Cochard-Labbé <olivier_at_cochard.me>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 10:54:30 +0100
On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 3:02 AM, Julian Elischer <julian_at_elischer.org> wrote:

> Some time ago someone showed some freebsd performance graphs graphed
> against time.
> He had them up on a website that was updated each day or so.
>
> I think they were network perf tests but I'm not sure.
> He indicated that he was going to continue the daily testing
> but I've not seen any mention of them since.
>
> If you know who that was or how to find him let me (or gnn) know...

Hi Julian,

Perhaps you are referring to my network performance graphs on this thread:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2013-April/041323.html

I didn't generate other tests since because I need to fix the test used
before continuing.
I only generate one IP-flow (same IP src/dst, same UDP port): there is no
IP distribution. And by generating only one flow, we didn't use the
multi-queue NIC capability, neither the multi-threaded features (like with
the SMP-pf) of FreeBSD forwarding/firewalling stack.
I plan to add the support of generating multiple IP source/destination to
the netmap pkt-gen, but the current status of this project is: I'm at page
42 of the book "C programming, a modern approach", then you have to wait :-)

By the way, I've documented a little more my benching lab and scripts used
here:
http://bsdrp.net/documentation/examples/freebsd_performance_regression_lab

Regards,

Olivier